Aug 14, 2018, updated August 2018
An initiative by Nestlé to try to create a landscape where people, nature and agriculture (oil palm), are united by their common source of vitality-water-and to demonstrate that mutual co-existence is possible for all stakeholders.
The project will restore riverine vegetation along the Kinabatangan River, the second longest river in Malaysia. A restored riparian zone will form a buffer zone that will significantly filter the two main pollutants of the river, i.e. soil sediments and chemical fertilizer run-offs, thus giving relief to the Kinabatangan to repair itself with the course of time.
Value to Society- Local community & stakeholder engagement
- Income generation for local community
- Capacity building: Local communities & industrial training of students
- Protect environment for future generations
Value to Nestlé
- Strengthening relationship with local community and oil palm smallholders
- Corporate reputation as a responsible member of the RSPO
- Engagement with oil palm smallholders allow for future collaboration in ensuring a secured supply of certified sustainable palm oil