Petaling Jaya, March 26, 2021 - MILO® has taken its first step towards environmental sustainability with the launch of MILO® Sayang Bumi, a pledge to embrace sustainable practices in improving its products and processes for the good of the planet. MILO® Sayang Bumi outlines initiatives that MILO® will undertake on its sustainability journey together with the support of Malaysians beginning this year, all of which will contribute to Nestlé’s global ambition to strive for zero environmental impact in its operations by 2030.
Recognising plastic pollution and climate change as threats to environmental sustainability, Nestlé has begun accelerating its actions, globally and in Malaysia, with commitments made to achieving net zero emissions by 2050 and making all its packaging recyclable or reusable by 2025.
“In Malaysia, we have made headways with our sustainability efforts and we want to continue leading the way of the industry into this greener future. We are proud that one of our biggest brands MILO® is now at the forefront of our battle. We want MILO® to be the loudest voice of Nestlé in Malaysia to champion, inspire and influence what each and every one of us can do to go further for the environment. MILO® Sayang Bumi is the platform for it,” said Juan Aranols, Chief Executive Officer, Nestlé (Malaysia) Berhad.
Ng Su Yen, Business Executive Officer – MILO® Business Unit, Nestlé (Malaysia) Berhad commented, “Millions of Malaysians are energised by MILO® every day - which means every day, we can inspire millions of Malaysians to take action for our planet. What our planet needs now are champions who can take a stand for a bigger cause: Creating a healthier, more sustainable planet, together. As a brand that is close to the hearts of the rakyat, we want to play a role in bringing together champions on a pledge for the sustainability of our planet through MILO® Sayang Bumi.”
MILO® Sayang Bumi focuses on three impact goals: Reducing plastic waste in landfills and waterways, reducing production of plastic and promoting the use of renewable energy sources. To this end, MILO® has unveiled the following six initiatives:
- CAREton Project: A used beverage cartons recycling campaign by MILO® UHT in partnership with Tetra Pak since 2012 that transforms drink packs into ‘green’
- roofing tiles and panel boards for the community.
- 100% Paper Straws: The introduction of 100% paper straw for the entire MILO® UHT range in 2020 that will eliminate over 200 million plastic straws per year.
- MILO® Redemption Programmes: Efforts over the years to collect back used MILO® packaging from consumers and divert the waste away from ending up in landfills and waterways. This includes the recently launched MILO® Stik Pek X-Change that not only collects back used MILO® stick packs and sachets but upcycles them into unique MILO® handicrafts in collaboration with local communities.
- MILO® Mixes Paper Pouch: A first for Nestlé Malaysia where the outer pouch of MILO® Less Sugar will be replaced with recyclable paper packaging.
- 100% Paper Cups: A switch to 100% paper cups combined with efforts to educate
- school children on the importance of waste separation
- MILO® Vans with Solar Panels: A transformation of the iconic MILO® vans with solar panels that convert solar power – a source of clean, renewable energy – into electricity to replace fuel-dependent generators.
Each initiative will be complemented by efforts to educate and encourage consumers to adopt good habits, no matter how big or small, for the environment. April Wong, Business Executive Officer – Ready-to-Drink, Nestlé (Malaysia) Berhad remarked, “We understand some of these changes will bring new experiences to our consumers and that it takes time for our consumers to adapt to and fully appreciate the changes. What we are doing today will have a lasting impact tomorrow, which is why now is the time for all of us to come together to protect the environment. Even if we start small, by combining our efforts and channeling our energy for good, we can all make a difference.”
To join forces with MILO® Sayang Bumi and channel your energy for the good of the planet, go to: https://www.milo.com.my/.
MILO®, the leading nutritious chocolate malt beverage in Malaysia was introduced in 1950 and has been known for its unique taste that Malaysians love. Packed with natural goodness of malt barley, milk and cocoa, enriched with Activ-Go®; a unique blend of 6 vitamins and 3 minerals, MILO® is the most popular beverage in Malaysia and has fuelled generations of champions.
About Nestlé Malaysia
Nestlé is the world’s largest food and beverage manufacturer. Headquartered in Switzerland, Nestlé is present in more than 180 countries around the world, and our 270,000 employees are committed to Nestlé’s purpose of unlocking the power of food to enhance quality of life for everyone, today and for generations to come. Our performance is driven by our Nutrition, Health and Wellness strategy. Nourishing Malaysians since 1912, Nestlé has earned the trust of our consumers through our quality brands and products. We are committed to improving the lives of the communities in which we operate, whilst maintaining our Halal excellence and integrity.
This is in line with our promise of delivering GOOD FOOD, GOOD LIFE to all. To learn more about how we have been nourishing Malaysians for over a century, do visit www.nestle.com.my or our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/Nestle.Malaysia.