Whether you have years of work experience or you just graduated, there's a job opportunity for you at Nestlé. Search for jobs here.
Preparation and Cooking Time:
Nutritional Content (Per Serving)
100g (1 cup) mixture of whole grains (brown rice, oat, millet, buckwheat, barley and rye); washed and drained in a colander
200g minced chicken breast
50g carrots, cut into 1cm cubes
100g potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
20g dried Shiitake mushroom, soaked to soften and cut into 1cm cubes
1 teaspoon salt
2 stalks spring onions, chopped
3 tablespoons finely shredded young ginger
3 tablespoons fried shallots
Sesame oil, soy sauce, white pepper to taste
- Soak the washed whole grains for 2-3 hours before cooking.
- Place the grains and 2000ml water in a medium-sized pot, bring to boil. Add in minced chicken, carrots, potatoes and mushroom cubes and stir briefly.
- Simmer on low heat until the grains become very soft (takes about 1-1.5 hours). Add more water if the porridge gets very thick. Stir from time to time to prevent it from sticking to the pot.
- Ladle the porridge into a medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle with chopped spring onions, shredded ginger, fried shallots, salt and white pepper and drizzle some sesame oil and soy sauce before serving.
Other methods of cooking the porridge:
- To cook in a rice cooker, place the grains and water in a rice cooker with porridge function and bring to a boil. Add in minced chicken, carrots, potatoes and mushroom cubes. Boil until the grains disintegrate and become very soft (takes about 1-1.5 hours). Add more water if the porridge gets very thick. Stir from time to time to prevent it from sticking to the pot.
- If using a slow cooker, place whole grains, minced chicken, carrots, potatoes and mushroom cubes and pour 2000ml of hot water into the crock pot and leave to cook on low heat overnight.
Get your kids involved! Here are some tasks you can assign them:
- Wash grains in colander
- Drain grains in colander